Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How to Deep Condition Your Hair


Deep Conditioning Treatments

Out of all the treatments I do for my hair the most beneficial and moisturizing are deep conditioning treatments. I think most hair types can benefit from the restorative outcomes of a good deep treatment especially those like me who have naturally curly hair which tends to be on the dry side. Since I have begun doing deep treatments every week my hair is soft, bouncy and moisturized. These treatments have also helped me prevent split ends and breakage allowing me to maintain the length and health of my hair.

my hair  naturally curly
The amount of time you deep condition your hair will depend on your hair’s needs. If your hair is very damaged then you should try to deep condition your hair more often (2 times per week) and for longer amounts of time. If your hair is less damaged but it is still on the dry side than once per week is adequate. And if your hair is very healthy you can deep condition to maintain its health about once per month.

Step 1 (optional): 

Some people like to do an oil treatment before they deep condition their hair. I do this strep occasionally when I want to add the benefits of natural oils to my treatment process. 

-Before you wash your hair dampen it with water or with water and a light conditioner from a spray bottle. I find that mixing the oil with a conditioner helps it glide through my hair much easier.

-I sometimes also add organic honey to my conditioner instead of oil.

- After your hair is damp saturate your hair with a natural oil of your choice. This could be organic coconut oil, olive oil, macadamia oil, avocado oil, grape seed oil ect.

-Put your hair up in a plastic shower cap and leave the oil on your hair for as long as possible. I usually leave the oil in for 2-3 hours but you can leave it in overnight if you plan to wash your hair in the morning.

Step Two:
-Wash your hair with your favorite shampoo, I use a sulfate free shampoo because it is less harsh and does not strip my hair. I would recommend lathering and rinsing twice to make sure that all the oil is washed out. 

Step Three:

-Part your hair (I usually part my hair in half), and then saturate your hair with a de-tangling conditioner. The more slippery feeling the conditioner makes your hair the better because it will cause less damage and make the de-tangling process much easier.

-Start at the ends of your hair and begin de-tangling with a wide tooth comb, pick apart the tangles slowly making your way upwards towards your roots.  Remember to be gentile!

Step 4:
-Clip your hair up leaving the conditioner in your hair for a few minutes and rinse it out after you have finished doing all your other shower things such as washing the rest of your body.

-When you rinse the conditioner out try using cool water.

Step 5 Deep Conditioning:

When you deep condition your hair there are several methods you can use. I am going to explain a few methods that you would use as step 5. When applying your deep conditioner always apply liberally to the ends and the areas of your hair that need the most moisture.

Using natural warmth:
If you do not want to use any heating device to help with your deep conditioning treatment you can use the heat from your own head.

-Apply the deep conditioner to your hair and cover your hair in a plastic cap

-cover the plastic cap by wrapping your head in a towel (I use a microfiber towel). The towel traps in the heat from your head and warms the hair, the longer you do this the warmer your head becomes. I usually do this for about 2 hours.

In shower deep conditioning treatment:

One of the ways you can deep condition your hair for a few minutes is by doing it in the shower. This method is fast and easy for the days when you just don’t have hours to spend doing your hair.

-After you  have shampooed and de-tangled and you have washed the de-tangling conditioner out, apply your deep conditioner in the shower. If your deep conditioner is a good de-tangling conditioner then you can use it for both steps and do not have to rinse it out.

-Clip your hair up with the deep conditioner in and turn the water on so that it is very warm and creates a steam. Do the rest of your washing while you let the conditioner sit in your hair.

I consider this method a deep conditioning treatment because the heat and steam allows the hair to absorb the benefits of the deep conditioner resulting in very soft and moisturized hair. I usually do this for about 5-10 minutes. 

Hot towel method:
-Using this method you would apply your deep conditioner, pin up your hair and then warm up a wet towel in the microwave for 1.5-2 minutes.

-When the towel is warm wrap it around your head and leave it on for 10-20 minutes.

The only problem I have with this method is that the towel tends to cool down very quickly and sometimes I find myself having to re-heat it.

Using a blow dryer:

-With this method you will apply the deep conditioner to your hair and cover your hair with a plastic cap.

-Next you will use your blow dryer on a hot setting and move the blow dryer around your head to warm up the cap and your hair. The heat will not be making direct contact with your hair and therefore is not damaging.

You can do this for as much time as you think your hair needs. I do this for at least 15-20 minutes.

Using a dryer attachment:
This is the method I use most often because it is rather simple. I purchased my Conair dryer attachment for about $12 at Sally’s Beauty Supply Store. You also need a blow dryer for this cap to work.

-After applying your deep conditioner put all your hair in a plastic cap

- Attach your blow dryer to the dryer attachment hose, place the dryer attachment cap on your head and turn your hair dryer to the low heat setting.

I usually use the dryer attachment cap anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour (this time can be adjusted depending on your hair's needs)

Using a hooded Dryer:

If you have a hooded dryer you can use this for your deep treatment.

-Apply your deep conditioner and cover your hair with a plastic cap.

-Sit under your dryer as long as you feel is necessary. I find that with these dryers if you sit under them too long it makes your hair a bit stiff and dries out all the water so I would suggest to use it for 30 mins before rinsing. 

Using a hair steamer :

Hair steamers are becoming more popular these days. Instead of using dry heat like the heat from hooded dryers and blow dryers hair steamers use hot steam from the apparatus which may be more beneficial since steam is water and water is moisturizing to hair. Many hair steamer brands claim to be 5 times more effective than other deep treatment methods.

-Apply your deep conditioner, pin your hair up and sit under the hair steamer as long as you feel is necessary. 

Using a clothes steamer to deep condition your hair:

If you do not have a hair steamer handy you can try using your clothes steamer. I have used my small travel steamer which worked well for a deep treatment using steam.
If you are going to try this please use caution as the steam from steamers can get very hot and burn the skin. You can control the heat of the steam by holding the steamer further away from your head. I have the Emerson travel steamer but all steamers are different and may heat up differently so if your steamer is too hot then do not try this.

- Allow the steamer to heat up and produce steam

-Make sure you wrap a towel around your neck and shoulders and protect your arms as steamers can sometimes drip hot water which may cause burns

-After applying your deep conditioner and pining up your hair move the steamer around your head allowing the steam to pass over the hair.

-Do this for as long as you feel necessary.

After you have deep conditioned your hair rinse with cool water and style as usual.

3 comments:

  1. You have really beautiful hair, both curly and straight! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI,
    You are so young and pretty. Your black hair is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from all of my amazing readers. Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...